Going on vacation totally ruined my diet plans. In spite of all my efforts for it do otherwise. I've gained back all weight that was lost with HCG and lost my bottle of HCG in Utah anyway. John is gone now at a new job and that has me struggling to get my exericise in too. The babies were sick this week so I couldn't use the daycare at the rec center. I got a bike ride in two days ago but it was pretty pathetic compared with what I was doing before vacation. I just couldn't perform as well and I think it is all the junk food and ice cream over the past week that did it. It was very sobering.
I've been doing a bunch of reading on paleo and vegan diets and debates between the two. I feel drawn to both even though they appear to be opposing views. I don't want to kill animals for me to live. I don't know how to be vegan and be truly healthy. So a compromise is my solution for now. My family is made up of vegans and paleos and I always like to find the things we can agree on.
I'm finally starting a new blog called PaleoVeganFusion. This is where I will share my recipes and maybe philosophize a bit. http://paleoveganfusion.blogspot.com/
I think that on an emotional level the important thing for me is that I make a plan and stick with it.
(That is a lot easier to do at home where I have more control of my time, my schedule, and my routines. The only way I've found to do all that I do is to have layers of routines. Going on vacation totally messes that up)
So I have a new plan. My plan is to eat 80% vegetables with cultured veggies in the meal 50% of the time. I will eat the veggies with a healthy whole grain (buckwheat, millet, quinoa, brown rice) except after a workout when I will eat the veggies with a hand sized portion of meat. That's my compromise for now. Plain yogurt is allowed but no cheese. Sugar is obviously out again (I did so well before Utah!) Fruit is limited to an occasional dessert. Coconut oil will be my main cooking medium with occasional olive oil use. Butter is out for now. I will still supplement with flax, fish and olive oil once a day. I'm considering experimenting more with chickpeas and lentils. sprouted first of course.
Also, if we're going to be eating meat then I want to do it as humanely as possible. So next Thursday I am going to go to auction and purchase 5 steers to raise on pasture on our property. We have free water and land and a tractor and electric fence lying around. I want salad bar beef if we're going to have beef. And I still hope that someday I will find a way to be healthy without having to kill, but if we're going to kill we should be honest about and look him in the eye first. Next is the chickens. But I also want to start a big vegan gardening effort. I don't feel that I can really do that well until my property is fenced away from the deer. That will be in a year or two. For now we'll do some indoor gardening along my south windows.
I've been doing a bunch of reading on paleo and vegan diets and debates between the two. I feel drawn to both even though they appear to be opposing views. I don't want to kill animals for me to live. I don't know how to be vegan and be truly healthy. So a compromise is my solution for now. My family is made up of vegans and paleos and I always like to find the things we can agree on.
I'm finally starting a new blog called PaleoVeganFusion. This is where I will share my recipes and maybe philosophize a bit. http://paleoveganfusion.blogspot.com/
I think that on an emotional level the important thing for me is that I make a plan and stick with it.
(That is a lot easier to do at home where I have more control of my time, my schedule, and my routines. The only way I've found to do all that I do is to have layers of routines. Going on vacation totally messes that up)
So I have a new plan. My plan is to eat 80% vegetables with cultured veggies in the meal 50% of the time. I will eat the veggies with a healthy whole grain (buckwheat, millet, quinoa, brown rice) except after a workout when I will eat the veggies with a hand sized portion of meat. That's my compromise for now. Plain yogurt is allowed but no cheese. Sugar is obviously out again (I did so well before Utah!) Fruit is limited to an occasional dessert. Coconut oil will be my main cooking medium with occasional olive oil use. Butter is out for now. I will still supplement with flax, fish and olive oil once a day. I'm considering experimenting more with chickpeas and lentils. sprouted first of course.
Also, if we're going to be eating meat then I want to do it as humanely as possible. So next Thursday I am going to go to auction and purchase 5 steers to raise on pasture on our property. We have free water and land and a tractor and electric fence lying around. I want salad bar beef if we're going to have beef. And I still hope that someday I will find a way to be healthy without having to kill, but if we're going to kill we should be honest about and look him in the eye first. Next is the chickens. But I also want to start a big vegan gardening effort. I don't feel that I can really do that well until my property is fenced away from the deer. That will be in a year or two. For now we'll do some indoor gardening along my south windows.
No comments:
Post a Comment