Thursday, November 18, 2010

Taking help for Granted

This morning, when my daughter complained to me that noone was going to help her do the dishes, I responded that I all ready had helped her and she just hadn't noticed so she didn't appreciate it. It made me wonder how many times I take for granted the assistance of heaven in my life when a burden is made lighter. I help my daughter with dishes in ways that are sometimes unnoticeable, like helping clear a little of the drain rack or scraping a few dishes off, or stacking the dishes more neatly putting some leftover food away. I make her burden lighter, but she doesn't notice unless I take the burden away completely by completing a job for her (and sometimes she doesn't even notice then). I'm sure I do this in my own life. It is much easier to appreciate a burden that is gone than a burden that is lighter.

In "The Chosen," which I am re-reading right now for a class discussion this week, Reuven comments to his father on the envy he feels watching people walking by on the street, during his short duration of time in a hospital bed recovering from an eye injury. "No one knows he is fortunate until he becomes unfortunate....that is the way the world is" says his father. It makes me wonder, if part of what we are here to learn is how to recognize God's hand in our lives always, instead of needing to experience misfortune in order to be grateful. How often are like my daughter, who wishes I would just take the burden of dishes away from her, instead of quietly and unnoticibly assisting her with a "burden" that I know if for her ultimate good, and therefore actually a gift? She would know what I have done for her if she would ask. Perhaps I should spend some time each day asking God to show me the many ways I can be grateful for him that I haven't noticed yet. I will pray for eyes to see, ears to hear and a heart to feel and appreciate, with infinite love and gratitude each day. Knowing, that whatever storms I may pass through, they will pass, and I will be better for having experienced them. Our challenges are our greatest gifts, but perhaps that is a topic for another essay.

No comments: